Monday, May 14, 2012

What is a Fluffernutter?

Fluffernutter Sandwiches and Cupcakes



Why would you eat PB&J sandwiches when you could eat a Fluffernutter sandwich instead?!? Peanut Butter and Marshmallow sandwiched together, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Apparently this concept has been around forever, but I had somehow never heard of it until recently. Actually, I don't think I had even tried marshmallow fluff til I was in college (it still amazes me just how weightless a jar of marshmallow fluff is!). Well, I was bored one night and browsing a bunch cupcake blogs when I came across a Fluffernutter Cupcake and I decided that I just HAD to make them, and pronto!

I mentioned that I was making a Fluffernutter cupcake in passing and got a bunch of 'What is a Fluffernutter?" questions, which made me feel less ridiculous for not knowing what it was before; I was not the only one in the dark.

So, I set out to test the flavors (just to confirm it was as amazing as it sounded). I started with a 1/2 sandwich....then made another 1/2.....and another the next day... I was in love with them!



It was time to take it to the next level.....cupcake form!

This recipe came from a blog called 'How Sweet It Is'. I re-posted the recipe below.

These turned out AMAZING. They tasted just like a nutter butter cookie; the cupcake was dense and the icing was perfectly sweet! The only thing I would do differently is add a bit more fluff to the icing...and fill them with more peanut butter filling.


Fuffernutter Cupcakes
makes about 18 cupcakes
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter morsels
  • 2/3 cup marshmallow fluff
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Cream butter and peanut butter together in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. 
  3. Add sugar and eggs and beat together until fluffy. 
  4. Add vanilla and mix for another minute or so.
  5. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. 
  6. Add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. 
  7. Add the milk. 
  8. Once mixed, add remaining dry ingredients. 
  9. Fold in peanut butter morsels and marshmallow fluff.
  10. Pour into cupcake tins and fill 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 15-18 minutes.

Just baked, can you see the marshmallow swirl?

Peanut Butter Filling
This is so yummy, I ate all the leftovers... 
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1-2 teaspoons milk, if needed
  1. Beat butter and peanut butter in the bowl of an electric mixer until creamy. 
  2. Add in vanilla extract, then with the mixer on low speed, add in powdered sugar.
  3.  Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 2-3 minutes until fully combined, scraping down the sides.
  4. If frosting is too thick, add in milk and beat for 1-2 minutes more. 
  5. Fill the cupcake. (I used Wilton tip 233)

Filling the Cupcake


Marshmallow Buttercream 
  • 1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups marshmallow fluff
  • 3 cups of powdered sugar
  1. Beat butter in the bowl of electric mixer until creamy. 
  2. Add in fluff and beat for 2-3 minutes, then add in vanilla extract. 
  3. With the mixer on low speed, add in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until fully incorporated. 
  4. Once all the sugar has been added, beat on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes. 
  5. Frost cupcakes and drizzle with melted peanut butter if desired.

I think I should have added more filling...

1 comment:

  1. Tastes just like Nutter Butter Peanut Butter Sandwich cookies! So yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...