Friday, February 3, 2012

SoCo Red Velvet Cupcakes

Southern Comfort Red Velvet Cupcakes from the Boozy Baker Cookbook!




My cousin gave me the Boozy Baker cookbook awhile back and I have never tried anything from it before! Well, I was really bored last night and decided to give it a go. I love Southern Comfort and happened to have a bottle in my cabinet, so I went with the Red Velvet Cake and turned it into cupcakes.


Now, this recipe was for a cake, and called for 3 eggs, so unfortunately it couldn't be cut in half! I ended up with 24 cupcakes and some leftover batter! I probably could have cut it into thirds, but oh well. 

Red Velvet Cake:
  • 3 cups cake flour
  • 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup Southern Comfort (I added a splash more)
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon white vinegar
  • 1 (1-ounce) bottle red food coloring
  • 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. 
  2. Whisk together the cake flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. 
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, Southern Comfort, vanilla, vinegar, and food coloring.
  4. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. 
  5. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. 
  6. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk mixture in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.
  7. Bake for 17-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool in the pans on a wire rack, and then remove them from the pans and cool completely.
The buttermilk mixture was very very RED!


Frosting (I cut the recipe in half and had plenty):
  • 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
  • 1/8 cup milk
  • 1/8 cup Southern Comfort (I added a splash more, but probably shouldn't have)
  1. Beat the butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer for about 2 minutes. 
  2. Add confectioners’ sugar, the milk, and the Southern Comfort. 
  3. Beat on low speed until creamy.
This was a very dense cupcake, perfect crumb!
I loved the cake part of this recipe! You could taste the subtle flavor of Southern Comfort in it and the cake was the perfect consistency. 

As for the frosting, I should have stuck with the recipe, because it had waaaay too much booze in it! I think I probably would have used a different buttercream recipe and added the SoCo in. Was not a big fan of the frosting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...