Sometimes simple is perfect! Especially when its 9:30PM the night before your potluck at work! I almost forgot to make these, and for a split second I considered just buying cupcakes to bring..... don't worry! It was a short split second and I came to my senses!
So my Vanilla Bean Cupcakes are probably my most requested cupcake ever. Its got high quality madagascar bourbon vanilla and vanilla bean paste (that's what makes them so much better than all the other vanilla cupcakes!)
The cupcake recipe originally came from the Cupcake Project, but I have posted it several times in this blog.
Here it is again:
Vanilla Cupcakes (from Cupcake Project)
Yield: 16 cupcakes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 T vanilla bean paste
- 1 3/4 cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup whole milk
2. In a small bowl, combine sugar and vanilla bean paste
3. Mix together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. Add the vanilla sugar and mix until well combined.
5. Add butter and mix on medium-low speed for three minutes.
6. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, oil, and vanilla extract until smooth.
7. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined.
8. Slowly add milk and mix on low speed until just combined.
9. Fill cupcake liners 1/4 of the way up. Place a mini-cupcake on top, cover with additional batter.
10. Bake for 14 minutes
11. When the cupcakes are done, remove them immediately from the tins.
|Mmmm fresh out of the oven!|
It originally came from Martha Stewart, but I have tweaked it some.
Dark Chocolate Frosting
This makes enough to frost about 25-30 cupcakes depending on how much you use on each cupcake.... I put the left-over frosting in the fridge so I can use it again this weekend.... maybe I will try and send Ben some more cupcakes!
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Combine the powdered sugar and cocoa powder
- Add the butter, milk, and vanilla
- Beat until Smooth
- Add more powdered sugar if frosting is too thin.
- Pipe onto dipped cupcakes (I used my Wilton #1M tip)
And of course I have to test one.... or three... to make sure they are good!
The best part about these was it only took about 45 mins from start to finish...including cool-down time! Fast, Easy, Simple.... and still Delicious!