Friday, October 12, 2012

Sugar-Free Dark Chocolate Tart


OK, so I know I don't have the prettiest picture of these, but they were delicious nonetheless.

My dad's birthday was last week, so I decided to try out a new sugar-free recipe, since he has already tried my sugar-free chocolate cupcakes.

This one turned out AMAZING. Nobody could tell that they were sugar-free!

The recipe is adapted from the Nourishing Gourmet.

This is the first time I have ever worked with Coconut Oil. Which is surprisingly NOT what I expected. Here's a pic:


Its more like shortening than oil. Actually, its nothing like oil. It was interesting to work with.

So here's the recipe:

Crust: 

Grease a spring-form pan with coconut oil, and set aside.
  • 2 cups of almonds
  • 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
  • 2/3 cup of coconut oil softened 
  • 1/4 cup of DiabetiSweet (you can get it here)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Place almonds in a food processor, and process until a coarse flour. 
  3. Add the rest of the ingredients and process until it forms a uniform dough. 
  4. Press down into the greased pan and bake for 8-12 minutes or until the top is slightly browned.
  5. Take out of the oven and cool. 
  6. Once the crust is cool, making the filling.
Filling:
  • 8 ounces of unsweetened chocolate
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil 
  • 1/2 cup of Diabeti-sweet 
  • 1 1/2 cups of coconut cream (I could not find coconut cream, so I used heavy cream and added a few drops of coconut extract, which I happened to have in my pantry).
  • Dash of salt
  • 2 tablespoons brewed coffee (I used chocolate flavored coffee)
  1. Finely chop the chocolate and place it in a medium size, heatproof bowl. 
  2. Add the coconut oil and the sugar, mix it into the chopped chocolate a little.
  3. Heat the coconut cream (or heavy cream) on the stove until very hot. 
  4. Pour over the chocolate. Let this sit for about one minute to start melting the chocolate. 
  5. Using a rubber spatula, slowly stir together until it is all uniformly mixed in.
  6. Add the coffee and stir until incorporated. 
  7. Pour this over the crust and carefully place it in the fridge to set for at least 1 hour.
MMM, yummy filling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...