OK, so I know I don't have the prettiest picture of these, but they were delicious nonetheless.
My dad's birthday was last week, so I decided to try out a new sugar-free recipe, since he has already tried my sugar-free chocolate cupcakes.
This one turned out AMAZING. Nobody could tell that they were sugar-free!
The recipe is adapted from the Nourishing Gourmet.
This is the first time I have ever worked with Coconut Oil. Which is surprisingly NOT what I expected. Here's a pic:
Its more like shortening than oil. Actually, its nothing like oil. It was interesting to work with.
So here's the recipe:
Grease a spring-form pan with coconut oil, and set aside.
- 2 cups of almonds
- 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup of coconut oil softened
- 1/4 cup of DiabetiSweet (you can get it here)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place almonds in a food processor, and process until a coarse flour.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process until it forms a uniform dough.
- Press down into the greased pan and bake for 8-12 minutes or until the top is slightly browned.
- Take out of the oven and cool.
- Once the crust is cool, making the filling.
- 8 ounces of unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of Diabeti-sweet
- 1 1/2 cups of coconut cream (I could not find coconut cream, so I used heavy cream and added a few drops of coconut extract, which I happened to have in my pantry).
- Dash of salt
- 2 tablespoons brewed coffee (I used chocolate flavored coffee)
- Finely chop the chocolate and place it in a medium size, heatproof bowl.
- Add the coconut oil and the sugar, mix it into the chopped chocolate a little.
- Heat the coconut cream (or heavy cream) on the stove until very hot.
- Pour over the chocolate. Let this sit for about one minute to start melting the chocolate.
- Using a rubber spatula, slowly stir together until it is all uniformly mixed in.
- Add the coffee and stir until incorporated.
- Pour this over the crust and carefully place it in the fridge to set for at least 1 hour.
|MMM, yummy filling!|