I started out trying to replace the eggnog from my eggnog cupcakes with the frappuccino, but they turned out very sunken in and gooey, so I used Martha Stewart's Yellow Cupcakes as my starting point, which turned out much better!
Since I don't have an event to bring these to, I didn't need a whole bunch, so I halved the recipes (edits shown below) to make about 6-8 cupcakes. The perfect amount!
The only glitch with these, (other than the horrendous first batch I made), was the fact that I am terrible at math!! So terrible! Especially when I am trying to mentally halve a recipe as I go. I thought I had gotten it right, and was wondering why the batter was so thick, but I brushed it off because they still tasted great. Well, as I was typing up the recipe, i realized that I did not halve the flour and baking powder right.
1 1/2 cups divided by 2 does not equal 1 1/4 cups.......I repeat, I suck at math! But they turned out delicious, so I guess it doesn't really matter.
Mocha Frappuccino Cupcakes:
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 cup milk
- 1/8 cup Mocha Frappuccino Drink
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; line the cups of a standard (12-cup) muffin tin with paper or foil liners. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a liquid-measuring cup, mix milk, frappuccino, and vanilla; set aside.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. With mixer on low speed, add half of dry ingredients, followed by milk-vanilla mixture, then remaining dry ingredients. Do not overmix.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups (a 2-ounce or 1/4-cup ice-cream scoop is good for this).
- Place tin on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool cupcakes 5 minutes in tin, then remove and cool completely on a rack before frosting.
- Prepare frosting: In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter, confectioners' sugar, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth. Mix in up to 1/2 cup more sugar or a few more teaspoons of milk as necessary to achieve a spreadable consistency. Makes enough for 6-8 cupcakes.
Mocha Frappuccino Frosting:
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 T frappuccino
- 1/4 tsp instant espresso power (plus more to sprinkle on frosted cupcakes)
- To make the frosting, beat the butter until smooth
- Add the powdered sugar, half a cup at a time.
- Add the espresso powder, then add the frappuccino one Tablespoon at a time until the frosting is smooth.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with espresso powder.