I love when it finally becomes time for eggnog. There is nothing better than relaxing with a glass of southern comfort spiked eggnog sprinkled with a little nutmeg!
Even though I have made dozens and dozens of cookies for Christmas, I still got a request to bring cupcakes! I am taking this as the perfect opportunity to make some eggnog cupcakes that I have been dreaming about for weeks. Eggnog cupcakes, filled with an eggnog pastry cream (my first time making pastry cream!) and topped with an eggnog buttercream frosting.
Too much eggnog?....nope! They were like sipping an eggnog drink, in cupcake form. The eggnog flavor was not too overpowering, they were just right.
The Eggnog Cupcake (from the cupcake project)
makes 36 cupcakes (I halved this recipe)
- 4 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups eggnog
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- Preheat oven to 350°F. and line twenty-four 1/2-cup muffin cups with paper liners.
- Into a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy and beat in vanilla.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition
- With mixer on low speed beat in eggnog and rum until just combined.
- Add flour mixture in 3 batches, beating until just combined after each addition
- Bake for 14-17 mins.
You need to double this recipe to have enough to fill all the cupcakes.
I was surprised at how long it took for the pastry cream to thicken! Overall, it was a very easy process, though.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup eggnog
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon dark rum
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place flour in a heavy sauce pan, gradually whisk in eggnog until blended and smooth.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, whisking until just combined after each addition.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, removing from the heat occasionally to avoid lumps, until thickened. If necessary strain through a metal sieve to remove lumps.
- Remove from heat, stir in butter, rum and vanilla.
- Transfer pastry cream to a bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap, chill.
|You can see the yummy pastry cream on the inside!|
The Eggnog Frosting (adapted from cate’s world kitchen)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 4-6 tsp eggnog
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp dark rum.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter until smooth
- Add the powdered sugar, half a cup at a time.
- Add the nutmeg, then add the eggnog one teaspoon at a time until the frosting is smooth.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- Garnish cupcakes with nutmeg and a cinnamon stick.
I have to say, it was really hard to stop myself from eating the whole batch of these cupcakes. The only sad part is, I used up all my eggnog for this recipe and had none left to drink with one of these little cupcakes!
|I LOVE the cute little cinnamon sticks as garnish!|