Friday, April 13, 2012

How to Ship Cupcakes? ... Attempt #2

My second attempt to safely ship cupcakes across the country from St. Louis, MO to Lubbock, TX.



Last October, I set out to make and send cupcakes to my brother, who is away at college at Texas Tech. Unfortunately, what I thought was a great idea failed miserably. But I won't give up trying!

(See attempt #1 here: How to Ship Cupcakes?)

Well, this time, I have a new plan and its time to test it out. I have new cupcake containers that are like the ones you buy cupcakes in at the grocery store, with individual spaces for the cupcakes. I figured it would keep them from sliding around and mushing together like last time.

I made a simple vanilla cupcake, (recipe is posted here, I left the filling out this time). I decided to try this 2 ways, with a normal icing swirl piped on, and with sprinkles covering the top to hopefully protect the icing from squishing.



I also decided to try FedEx this time, hoping that they would take better care of my package than the USPS.

After baking, I put them in the freezer overnight. The next day, I sent them both off to Texas.

The Results: FAIL....AGAIN! I really thought it would work this time! :(




I don't know what went wrong... Maybe I should have taped up the plastic container instead of just snapping it together? Or maybe I should have packed the box tighter?

But the good news is: this is progress! They actually still resemble cupcakes this time, just a little squished.

So, all I have to do is figure out how to keep them in the package and I'm golden!

The box ended up somewhat coated in frosting!

The 3rd times the Charm!...I'm hoping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...