I got a giant cupcake tin for Christmas, and because its usually impractical to make giant sweet cupcakes, I use it for muffins. It actually makes a really good sized muffin, not too small that you want more, and not too big that you can't finish it.
This is the second time I have made these...and my boyfriend LOVED them so much that the thought of trying a different muffin recipe is almost out of the question.
Well, this weekend I am driving with my boyfriend and one of his 'car buddies' up to Hannibal, MO (about 1.5 hours drive) and decided to make us some muffins for breakfast before we leave. They are both have rally cars that they race, and his buddy is purchasing a used ambulance to tow his race car with.....yes, I said ambulance! It's the funniest thing, and I didn't even know you could buy old ambulances!
This time around, by request, I made the cubes of apples bigger, and it worked out well. These cupcakes make the house smell amazing!
I settled on this recipe from My Baking Addiction, after looking at dozens of recipes for apple muffins. I think what peaked my interest was the mini cinnamon chips, and they really work well with the apples.
(Makes 6 giant muffins)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups chopped apples (I used golden delicious, and needed 2 apples. I cut them into about 1/4 inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup miniature cinnamon chips
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray cooking spray in a 6 cup giant muffin tin. (or you could use a 12 cup standard muffin tin)
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar and eggs until smooth.
- Mix in vanilla and applesauce.
- Stir in apples, and gradually blend in the flour mixture.
- Fold in the cinnamon chips.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan.
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture is like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over tops of mixture in muffin pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. (if you are making standard size, bake for about 20 mins)
- Allow to sit 5 minutes before removing muffins from pan. Cool on a wire rack.
- Wrap individually in plastic wrap after completely cool. Place in cute basket : )
|Basket of Cupcakes!|