Friday, April 13, 2012

Samoa's Cupcakes

Based on the Samoa's Girl Scout Cookie:
Chocolate Coconut Cupcake, with a Salted Caramel Buttercream, Topped with Chocolate Drizzle and Toasted Coconut. 




When I was little (and actually a Girl Scout) I hated coconut with a passion. Therefore, I never ever ate any of the Samoa's Girl Scout cookies. I was always a sucker for Tagalongs and Do-Si-Dos...hmm, next cupcake? But as I grew up and my tastes expanded, I found coconut to be tolerable and OK in certain situations.

I had my first Samoa a couple of years ago....the first Girl Scout season that Sean and I were dating. He loves them, and I found myself actually liking them too.

I made these for him to take to work with him. I wasn't that impressed with these, but that may because I still am not too fond of the texture of coconut. But Sean like them, so that's all that mattered as these were for him.



I came across this recipe from Spice is Nice, but I don't like thin batters, so I searched for another Samoa's recipe and decided on the cupcake from Damn Delicious. But the frosting looked like it involved too much work....so I decided to combine the two recipes.

Chocolate-Coconut Cupcakes (from Damn Delicious)
(makes 24)
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup unsweeted cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 4 large eggs, at room temperature (I never get eggs to room temp, not sure what that does for the recipe, as my cupcakes always come out great)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut (I had never bought coconut before, so it took me forever to find it in the grocery store!)
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners; set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
  3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
  4. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well combined.
  5. Beat in vanilla until well combined.
  6. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients and the milk alternately in 3 parts, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, beating just until incorporated.
  7. Stir in the coconut flakes.
  8. Scoop the batter evenly into the muffin tray.
  9. Place into oven and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
Lots of Coconut
Salted Caramel Buttercream (From Spice is Nice)
(made just enough to frost 24 cupcakes....it is rare that you have just enough icing. It seems I mostly either get way too much, or not enough)
  • 2 sticks butter, softened
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup caramel topping
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (the recipe originally called for a whole teaspoon, but I don't like my salted caramel to be so salty...so I halved it)
  1. Cream butter until fluffy.
  2. Add in vanilla extract and caramel topping. 
  3. Add powdered sugar and salt and mix until smooth.
To toast coconut for garnishment: Place coconut on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 350 stirring frequently until it looks brown, This took 6-8 minutes for me. 

Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Garnish with toasted coconut. Drizzle melted milk chocolate chips on top. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...