My mom and I have always shared a birthday party and cake....her birthday is the day after mine! And, its always on Memorial Day weekend, so I always have a day off work!
Well, this year we went to Chili's for lunch and I made our cake. (I know, I know....your not supposed to make your own cake....but I LOVE making cakes, and frankly mine are way better than store-bought. I prefer to make my own cake)
This recipe is from Taste of Home. And it was very delicious! (and pretty easy to make!)
The waiters at Chili's had been eyeing my cake throughout the entire lunch and people kept asking me where I bought it.... I love when people think my cakes are professional! : )
I decided to leave a few pieces for the drooling staff, and one of them even said "This is the best cake I have ever had!" And a few of them said they would pay a lot of money for a cake like that!
So, here it is. The recipe says it yields 12 servings.... but those would be gigantic slices. I cut the cake in about 19 slices and they were plenty big enough.
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) white cake mix (I used Moist Supreme)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup coarsely crushed Oroes (I used double-stuff Oreos)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
|In the oven! I use Bake-Even strips to keep the cake even on top|
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, oil and egg whites; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 2 minutes. Gently fold in crushed cookies.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat the shortening, sugar, milk and vanilla in another large bowl until smooth.
- Spread frosting on bottom layer, sprinkle with crushed cookies
- Top with second layer and spread frosting on top and sides.
- Decorate the top with half Oreos around the top edge, and finely crushed Oreos on the sides.
- Place one Oreo top in the center of the cake.