Monday, October 3, 2011

White Wine Cupcakes

A Vignoles Cupcake frosted with White Chocolate Vignoles Buttercream,  Yummy!


Over the past few years, I have become obsessed with two things: Cupcakes and Wine. Strangely, I have never married the two obsessions....until now!

Last weekend, I took a trip out to the wineries in Hermann, MO. We stopped by Hermannhof first, which is usually my favorite, but they were a bit stingy with the tastings this time. Then it was on to Oak Glenn, which has mediocre wine but a great view. And we saved the best for last: Stone Hill Winery.

It was then I discovered a buy one, get one free deal on cases of Vignoles wine, one of my favorite sweet wines. Needless to say I came home with 24 bottles of it! As I was unpacking my wine, I got the idea to try and create a cupcake out of the delicious stuff. I went searching and found this recipe from 'We Are Not Martha'. I have only adapted it slightly.

Here it is re-posted with my edits:

Vignoles Cupcakes

Ingredients
• 2/3 C unsalted butter, softened
• 1 1/2 C sugar
• 2 3/4 C flour
• 3 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 C Vignoles Wine (It originally called for Riesling, but Vignoles substituted nicely)
• 1 C egg whites (I use the kind already made up called All Whites)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Cream together the butter and sugar, until light and fluffy.
3. In a separate bowl, Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
4. Mix the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, alternating with the wine.
5. In yet another separate small bowl, beat your egg whites until stiff peaks form. This took about 3-5 minutes and will not resemble egg whites anymore. It looks more like fluffy, airy....something.
6. Fold the egg whites into the batter.
7. Scoop batter into pans and bake for 18 minutes. 

They come out nice and golden:


White Chocolate Vignoles Buttercream Icing

Ingredients
• 1 1/2 C unsalted butter, softened
• 6 oz. white chocolate (I use Ghirardelli Bars)
• 3 1/4 C powdered sugar
• 2 teaspoons Vignoles Wine

Directions
1. Melt white chocolate on the stove in a double boiler
2. Cream the butter at medium speed until it looks light and fluffy (3-4 minutes)
3. Beat in melted white chocolate
4. Add 1/2 C powdered sugar, then 1/2 teaspoon Vignoles wine, making sure each is incorporated before adding the next. Repeat until all the powdered sugar and wine are blended in. 
5. Put the bowl of icing in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to thicken it up, then give it a good beating with the mixer before filling your piping bag. 
6. Pipe icing onto cupcakes. (To get the pretty swirl, use the Wilton 1M tip. I tend to use this tip ALL the time because that's the only one I have...I need to stock up my tip collection!)

The finished product:


This cupcake was very light and airy, the perfect cupcake to enjoy on a nice evening with a glass of wine! It was sweet, but not too sweet, and the cake itself had a very nice texture! This one is for sure a keeper!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...