My favorite candy? Reese's cups, hand's down! I have been dying to make a cupcake around those little cups of goodness!
And now I have the perfect opportunity: my boyfriend's Grandpa is having a birthday dinner this weekend, and when I was naming off flavors, he said he liked peanut butter. Well, what goes with peanut butter better than chocolate?
I used my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe as a base (posted here).
Before baking, press 1 Frozen Reese's cup into each cupcake. It is very important that the Reese's Cups are VERY Frozen so that they hold their shape while baking. I kept mine in the freezer for a few days.
Wilton's Peanut Butter Buttercream, with a very slight modification
- 1/3 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4-6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Cream shortening and butter with electric mixer.
- Add peanut butter and vanilla.
- Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed.
- Add cream, one tablespoon at a time, and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.