I have been dreaming up this perfect chocolate cupcake for weeks now, and have been waiting for the perfect opportunity to actually put it all together. My boyfriend had a potluck lunch at his work today, and since he is now 'the cupcake guy' at Toyota (thanks to all the cupcakes I send with him), I just had to make some for him to bring. (The red liners were for Toyota spirit).
Step 1: Bake Chocolate Cake (my go to chocolate cupcake is posted here). Add about 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter.
I got impatient and stuck the cupcakes in the freezer to cool. They have to be completely cool before filling.
|Baked and Cooled Cupcakes|
Step 2: Make a Semi-Sweet Ganache (2 ways)
- 2 bars Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate (8 oz)
- 1 1/3 C Heavy Cream
- 4 T butter
- Heat the cream in a saucepan until it simmers
- Add in the butter and cook until melted
- Pour over chocolate and stir together
- Divide into 2 bowls
- Put one bowl in an ice bath and whisk until cooled and fluffy (for filling)
- Set other bowl aside (for dipping)
|Yummy Ganache for Dipping|
Step 3: Fill Cupcakes with Whipped Ganache
- I used a Bismark Tip (Wilton #230) to fill them.
- Put your fluffy Ganache into a piping bag.
- Insert tip into center of cupcake.
- Squeeze some filling into center, you have to guess because you can't see how much is going in.
Alternatively, you can use a paring knife to cone out the cupcake, add the filling, then replace the top. I find that it makes a mess if you do it that way, and the Bismark Tip is well-worth getting!
|Filling the Cupcakes|
Step 4: Dip the Cupcakes
Simply dip the cupcakes into the Ganache that you set aside. Make sure its still warm, or heat it up some. Don't worry about it looking pretty, because it will get covered in frosting.
|After getting dipped|
Step 5: Prepare Frosting
I took Martha Stewart's Ultimate Chocolate Frosting and altered it a bit to give it a dark chocolate flavor, turned out even better than I expected!
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Combine the powdered sugar and cocoa powder
- Add the butter, milk, and vanilla
- Beat until Smooth
- Add more powdered sugar if frosting is too thin.
- Pipe onto dipped cupcakes (I used my Wilton #1M tip)
Step 6: Sprinkle some chocolate curls on top. I picked mine up at Dierberg's when I ran across them. I was originally planning on sprinkling some chocolate jimmies on top, but the curl's ended up being the perfect garnish.
|The finished product!|
Step 7: Enjoy! (you may need a glass of milk, as these are super rich and chocolaty!)
|The inside, to see the filling|
I had a half of one last night, and literally was dreaming of it while I slept, it was that good!